Only a few days left to apply and we still need at least 10 more team leaders and 2 more track coaches! Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) is in the process of planning the Summer Beyond Half and Full Marathon Training Program in the greater Kalamazoo area.
In order to deliver a quality summer training program, we need your help! We have rewarding opportunities available to share your time, talent, and passion for running by serving as a Marathon or Half Marathon Team Leader and/or a Track Coach for the 2022 Summer Beyond Half and Full Marathon Training Program.
The 2022 Summer Beyond Half and Full Marathon Training Program prepares runners for the Grand Rapids and Detroit full and half marathons, and other fall half and full marathons.
Saturday long runs will run July 9th through October 8th at a variety of locations across greater Kalamazoo and Tuesday Track Sessions will run July 12th through September 6th at WMU Kanley Track (or another Kalamazoo area location).
Team Leader and Track Coach Application Process
Team Leaders and Track Coaches assist in providing a training program that is supportive of Kalamazoo Area Runners’ mission, vision, and values.
To be considered, Marathon Team Leaders must have completed at least one prior marathon, and Half Marathon Team Leaders must have completed at least one prior half-marathon.
Track Coaches should have completed either a half or full marathon. Team Leaders will be asked to fulfill the following expectations:
- Promote team spirit, build camaraderie, nurture an encouraging, supportive culture, and ensure all team members are connected and have fun!
- Attend a Team Leader Training (time/date/format to be determined)
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled start time at your group’s assigned location for the week, greet group members, and give group run instructions.
- Ensure all members of your group safety return at the end of the run.
- Coordinate coverage each week with your co-team leaders.
- Run within the assigned pace range, and slow pace as appropriate when conditions are unfavorable.
- Provide leadership to your team in following safety guidelines.
- Be available most Saturdays and communicate in advance when you can’t (Team Leaders must commit to a minimum of 10 of the 14 sessions)
- Coordinate SAG and Hydration on the course one Saturday morning (you won’t run that morning).
- Send out a weekly email by Thursday of each week to your team.
- Attendance at the Beyond Information Night is encouraged (time/date/format to be determined)
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed
Track Coaches will be asked to fulfill the following expectations:
- Be available most Tuesday evenings and communicate in advance if you are unable to attend a session. Track coaches must be available for a minimum of 7 of the 9 sessions
- Lead the group through workout sessions
- Serve as head coach 1 or 2 sessions
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to each session’s start time
- Guide the group during warm-up runs and exercises.
- Track Coach Training (date/time/format TBD)
Our volunteer team leaders and track coaches receive:
- A rewarding experience helping team members achieve their marathon or half marathon goals
- FREE Beyond Program Registration
- FREE One-year KAR Membership
- FREE Beyond Team Leader Apparel Item
If you are interested in serving as a Team Leader and/or Track Coach, please apply via the link below. The deadline to apply is Sunday, May 15th, and applicants will be placed based on the information submitted and notified of their status by Tuesday, May 31st. Should any unfilled positions remain, the application will be reopened and the remaining positions will be filled first come first serve.
Click here to apply for a Beyond Team Leader or Track Coach Position
- Application Deadline: Sunday, May 15th
- Beyond Information Night – June 22nd at 6:00pm (location TBD)
- Team Leader Training (Team Leaders) – In-person (location TBD) – June 8th at 6:30 pm, Virtual – June 14th at 6:30 pm
- Track Coach Training (Track Coaches) – Date and Time TBD
- Saturday long run dates – July 9th through October 8th
- Tuesday track session dates – July 12th through September 6th
We look forward to running with you this summer!