Patrick Johnson Memorial Volunteer Recognition Program
Presented by Gazelle Sports
NEW beginning in 2013! Patrick Johnson Memorial Volunteer Recognition Program Moves to a Self-Reporting Platform for 2013
Effective January 1, 2013, the Patrick Johnson Memorial Volunteer Recognition Program will move to a self-reporting platform and KAR members will enter their volunteer service hours into a simple form in order to receive credit.
In order to report your volunteer points, current members of KAR should visit Patrick Johnson Memorial Volunteer Points Validation. Event and Program Directors, Committee Members, Training Program Coaches and Team Leaders, and Team Captains should enter their points at the conclusion of the event or program commitment. Functional Directors and Group Run Directors should enter their points at the end of each year. All others should report immediately following the volunteer activity. Qualifying events and programs, as well as operations, are hard-coded into the drop down menu.
Thank you for your service to Kalamazoo Area Runners, past, present and future, and we look forward to 2013.
History and Program Description
In 2006 Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) introduced the Volunteer Recognition Program as a vehicle to recognize and thank the many club members who volunteer their time and talent by contributing to the local running community through KAR events and programs. Volunteers assisting with a KAR organized or sponsored event or program or serving in a non-board functional leadership position are eligible to earn points towards a special gift and drawing held after the close of each year at the Annual Banquet.
The top three volunteers earning the most points during the course of the year are awarded a special gift and recognition. Ten additional volunteers have their name drawn from our special volunteer box to receive prizes. Beginning in 2009, Gazelle Sports has served as presenting sponsor and provides the Volunteer Recognition Program awards at the Annual Banquet.
Point standings are listed at the bottom of this page.
This is how the program works:
- For every 10 points, a card with the volunteer’s name and contribution will be placed in a special volunteer box.
- Volunteering for a single event earns 10 points each time you volunteer. This includes:
- Assisting with a KAR Special Event such as a Hash Run, Turkey Trot, Healthy Kids, Run or the Kalamazoo Klassic
- Opening or closing Indoor Track Workouts, etc.
- Taking RSVP’s or performing another back office function for an event.
- Volunteering for Aid Stations for Beyond, or Safari or another KAR sponsored group run or training program earns 20 points or 2 cards entered in the drawing.
- Volunteering for a longer term event, program or team captain commitment earns 50 points and 5 cards entered in the drawing. These include such commitments as:
- Serving as a coach for a KAR sponsored program such as the Safari or Beyond.
- Serving on a KAR event or program planning committee such as the Klassic, Safari, YMCA Healthy Kids committee
- Serving as a Team Captain on behalf of KAR for an authorized fundraising event such as Race for the Cure, Jingle Bell Run or Relay for Life
- Serving as Race Director for a KAR event such as the Kal-Haven Trail Relay
- Volunteering as a functional director will earn 120 points for each complete year of service (prorated monthly for less than 1 year)
- Volunteering as a coordinator will earn 30 points for each complete year of service (prorated to nearest 10 points for less than 1 year)
Eligibility for Earning Points:
- KAR Board Members are not eligible to earn points for Board Service and related duties, but are eligible to earn points for all other volunteer positions meeting the criteria above.
- Must be a current KAR Member both at the time of the volunteer activity and as of the date of the Annual Banquet
- KAR Members receiving compensation in the form of wages, salary or stipends will not be eligible to earn points for any event or program duties for which compensation is specifically provided
- Event must be KAR organized or sponsored