Dear Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Members and Running Community Friends,
As an organization, we are in unprecedented times. The coronavirus (COVID-19) was determined to be a pandemic by the World Health Organization and both federal and state governments have declared a state of emergency. Although last week’s Executive Order mandate was for cancellation of events larger than 250, many local community organizations have discontinued in-person gatherings in a concerted effort to protect the people they serve, and the community as a whole.
Kalamazoo Area Runners will be following guidance from federal, state and local authorities, as well as the practices of similar organizations to do our part in helping to control the spread of COVID-19.
The Kalamazoo Area Runners (Board) and several members of the Battle Creek Subcommittee held an emergency meeting this afternoon, and have decided to take the following measures in regards to upcoming events, programs and group runs that have previously been scheduled through June 30, 2020.
- The Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Annual Banquet and Membership Meeting scheduled for March 25, 2020 will be postponed with a reschedule date to be determined. Current board members with expiring terms will be extended until the date the banquet is rescheduled. We will use the postponement option on RunSignUp to transfer registrations to the new date.
- The Kal-Haven Trail Run scheduled for April 4th, 2020 will be postponed with a reschedule date and registration options to be determined by the Kal-Haven Trail Run planning committee. Registration is temporarily suspended and communications will be forthcoming from the committee after they meet next week.
- The Bunny Hop Run scheduled for April 11th has been cancelled and registration will be closed.
- Decisions regarding the Kalamazoo Klassic and Kids’ Klassic scheduled for June 19th and 20th will be deferred to MRC and the Kalamazoo Klassic planning committee. At this time, the event is scheduled to go on as planned, however registration open has been delayed through April 5th, and will be re-evaluated at that time.
- The Beyond Half and Full Marathon Training Program in Kalamazoo is cancelling all runs through April 5th, 2020, and will be re-evaluated at that time. We will continue to send communications to participants to encourage them in their running and provide notification of updates.
- The Beyond Half Marathon Training Program in Battle Creek is postponing the start date tentatively until April 11th, 2020, and will be re-evaluated at that time. Registration is temporarily suspended. The Info night will also be postponed.
- The Fast Track 5k and 10k Training Program in Battle Creek is postponing the start date through April 5, 2020 and will be re-evaluated at that time. Registration is temporarily suspended. The info night will also be postponed.
- All KAR sponsored group runs, including member reception runs, will be temporarily suspended until April 5th and will be re-evaluated at that time.
- Decision making regarding the 2020 Summer Safari Half and Full Marathon Training Program scheduled to start June 13, 2020 is deferred to Gazelle Sports.
In addition to the measures above, KAR leadership team meetings are being held via remote methods and Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) has formed a five person pandemic response team led by the President to act quickly to make decisions and coordinate those decisions with other KAR leadership team members and partners.
We will continue to remain fluid and it is inevitable there will be continued changes as the situation unfolds. Decisions will continue to be made based on recommendations and mandates from federal, state and local authorities, and the practices of similar community organizations. Communications will be sent as soon as possible to members, event, program and group run participants and partners.
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we strive to promote the health and safety of our runners and the overall well-being of our community during these unprecedented times.
The Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Board
Bonnie Sexton, President
Natalie Rowe, Vice President
Kristen Mansfield, Secretary
Board Members at Large