Dear Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Members and Running Community Friends,
Our greatest hope and desire is that you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe during the COVID-19 health crisis. Today, Governor Whitmer issued Executive Order 2020-21, requiring Michigan residents to stay at home or at their place of residence for the next three weeks effective tomorrow (March 24th) at 12:01am. In addition, it was announced that the 2020 Kalamazoo Marathon/Borgess Run for the Health of It was cancelled.
Kalamazoo Area Runners will continue to follow guidance from federal, state and local authorities, as well as the practices of similar organizations to do our part in helping to control the spread of COVID-19.
As the situation continues to unfold, we have taken additional measures in regards to upcoming events, programs and group runs that had previously been scheduled through June 30, 2020.
- The Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Annual Banquet and Membership Meeting scheduled for March 25, 2020 continues to be postponed with a reschedule date to be determined. Current board members with expiring terms will be extended until the date the banquet is rescheduled. We will use the postponement option on RunSignUp to transfer registrations to the new date.
- The Kal-Haven Trail Run scheduled for April 4th, 2020 will be postponed with a reschedule date and registration options to be determined by the Kal-Haven Trail Run planning committee. Registration is temporarily suspended and the committee is waiting to hear back from the DNR on potential reschedule dates in the fall.
- The Bunny Hop Run scheduled for April 11th has been cancelled and registration is closed.
- Decisions regarding the Kalamazoo Klassic and Kids’ Klassic scheduled for June 19th and 20th will be deferred to MRC and the Kalamazoo Klassic planning committee. At this time, the event is still scheduled to go on as planned, however registration open has been delayed until further notice and we will re-evaluate.
- The 2020 Beyond Half and Full Marathon Training Program in Kalamazoo is cancelling the remainder of runs for the season. The committee will be exploring options on how best to offset the registration fees program participants paid for the training runs we were unable to deliver. We will continue to send communications to participants to encourage them in their running.
- The 2020 Beyond Half Marathon Training Program in Battle Creek is being cancelled. Any paying participants who have signed up will be refunded.
- The Spring Session of the Fast Track 5k and 10k Training Program in Battle Creek is being cancelled. Any paying participants who have signed up will be refunded.
- All KAR sponsored group runs, including member reception runs, will be temporarily suspended until further notice.
- Decision making regarding the 2020 Summer Safari Half and Full Marathon Training Program scheduled to start June 13, 2020 is deferred to Gazelle Sports.
We will continue to remain fluid and there will be additional changes and updates as the situation unfolds. Decisions will continue to be made based on recommendations and mandates from federal, state and local authorities, and the practices of similar community organizations. Communications will be sent as soon as possible to members, event, program and group run participants and partners as soon as possible after decisions are made.
While we can’t organize gatherings, the Executive Order does clearly permit residents to leave their home or place of residence and travel as necessary to to engage in outdoor activity, including walking, biking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household.
Although our spring events and training runs are being cancelled, the physical and mental health benefits of staying active are so important and we encourage you to keep moving during these trying times.
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we strive to promote the health and safety of our runners and the overall well-being of our community. We will get through this together and stronger than ever.
The Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Board
Bonnie Sexton, President
Natalie RoweVice President
Cheryl Wesler, Treasurer
Kristen Mansfield, Secretary
Board Members at Large