Executive Director (Full time)
Job Description and Expectations
Organization Mission and Objectives: The mission of the association shall be the promotion of running as a source of physical, spiritual and social wellness while enhancing the quality of life in the community. In furtherance of our mission, the association may facilitate, promote, and/or conduct races on the road or track, lectures, fun runs, educational activities, demonstrations, clinics, and social events. The association may print/publish books, magazines, and newsletters; present awards; and do other things as may be conducive to the encouragement of running. Other objectives are to engage in community activities and publicize the benefits of running as a means of physical fitness and to cooperate with other organizations with a similar goal and purpose.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Status: Full-time Exempt
Posting Date: April 9, 2013
Deadline to Apply: April 30, 2013
Program and Event Leadership:
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors provide vision and strategies for future program and event development and assess needs of ongoing events and programs in accordance with our mission and objectives
- Develop, implement, provide oversight and evaluate KAR events and programs
- Report to Board of Directors regarding program and event activities and plans. Propose program and event additions and deletions to the Board of Directors for approval
- Provide Executive Director report on association, program & event activities to Board of Directors
- Attend Board, sub-committee and pertinent planning committee meetings
- In the absence of an appointed event, functional or program director, or committee member, serve as interim director, committee member or delegate responsibility for said vacancy
- Set up or delegate online registration for KAR events, programs and membership
- Ensure administration of broad based programming including service provider and merchant discount program, regional race discount program, Club Championship Series and Patrick Johnson Memorial Recognition Program.
- Ensures and/or provides storage for all KAR supplies and inventory and coordinates distribution to event and program directors and other assigned volunteers.
Human Resources and Volunteer Management
- Oversight of volunteer (and staff where applicable) leadership to ensure that volunteers and staff function within the philosophies and value system of KAR
- Makes recommendations to the Board President on the appointment of volunteer functional, event and program leadership team members, hiring (staff where applicable).
- Recruitment, training and development of volunteer leadership and staff.
- Assign duties and provide supervision to functional, programmatic and event leadership team members
- Ensure Development of tools, templates and event and program plans to aid event and program directors
- Develop job descriptions for all volunteer leadership and staff positions
- Interpret policies and decisions of the Board of Directors to all volunteer leadership team members (and staff if applicable)
Fiscal and Risk Management
- Under the oversight of the Treasurer, facilitate the development of the annual budget in cooperation with functional, program and event leadership team members with final approval by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring adherence to the established annual budget.
- Under the oversight and approval of the Treasurer, makes deposits and pays bills.
- Under the oversight of the Board of Directors, ensure compliance with the completion of all state and federal mandated reporting and filing including the State of Michigan Annual Report, Charitable Solicitation License renewal, Federal Tax Filings (Form 990) and any other reporting required by local, state or federal mandate.
- Risk management including evaluating insurance needs.
- Submitting annual insurance renewals and RRCA membership dues, and the reporting of changes in insurance coverage to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure event and program directors submit additional insured requests as appropriate
- Prepare the KAR Annual Report in collaboration with the Board of Directors and functional directors
- In the absence of the Treasurer, present the monthly financial report to the Board of Directors upon completion by the Treasurer.
Fund and Business Development:
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors seek new areas of funding for operations and events and programs in terms of event and program sponsorships, charitable donations, grant funding and other resources.
- Develop and implement opportunities to generate income including event management, apparel & accessories sales and other means.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Development and Event/Program Directors, develop sponsor charts, letters and other materials to solicit sponsors and charitable donations.
- Ensure production of correspondence to solicit and acknowledge sponsorships and donations.
- Develop and Maintain sponsor database.
- Ensure publication of the Association Newsletter to the membership a minimum of once a month.
- Provide guidance and direction to functional, event and program directors in membership communications relative to their respective duties.
- Field membership questions and develop nurturing relationships with members
- Conduct membership surveys and other information gathering methodologies in order to gather membership feedback on events, programs and any appropriate association related topics.
- Ensure administration of the membership registration and renewal process.
Community, Marketing and Media Relations:
- Participation and oversight in developing and maintaining positive working relationships with community partners including businesses, benefiting and/or partnering non-profit organizations, sponsors and other organizations within the community.
- Act as the official spokesperson for the organization and represent it to the community, the media and other organizations.
- Acts as an advocate for the organization within the community and key stakeholders
- Under the guidance and direction of the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and in collaboration with functional, event and program directors, ensure the development of event and program marketing and promotional materials.
- Identify marketing media and ensure event and programs are listed on event websites, social media, generate press releases.
- In coordination with technology, event and program leadership, ensure maintenance of event, program and other association related content on the KAR website and via the KAR email distribution.
- Manage the procurement of events for the Club Championship Series and Race Discount Program, acting as a liaison with Race Directors.
- Follows all policies and procedures in accordance with the KAR Policy and Procedure Manual
- Development and establishment of vendor relationships necessary to carrying out our mission
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Technology and Technology Directors to identify, evaluate and implement communications technology.
- Assume periodic projects given by the Board of Directors.
- Other miscellaneous duties as required
- Demonstrated Leadership Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field required. Will consider individuals degreed in health or education related fields coupled with prior non-profit or business management experience or equivalent education and experience.
- MBA, MPA or other business related Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years prior business management, non-profit management or non-profit board experience required. Experience with a non-profit organization that is partially or wholly volunteer run preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years experience and demonstrated success organizing running events and/or running training programs or coaching required.
- General knowledge of all functional, program & event area requirements, and their interdependencies
- Ability to develop, nurture and maintain relationships with other community organizations, Board of Directors, volunteer leadership team members staff and members.
- A basic understanding of legal and financial considerations impacting the organization, and the ability to work with board members, legal resources and other applicable professionals and agencies to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to speak in public in front of large groups.
- Excellent computer & technology skills with a working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience working with various types of electronic media including email, websites, social media and electronic surveys. Knowledge of Microsoft Access preferred.
- Flexibility in scheduling to accommodate occasional evening and weekend meetings & events/programs including Board Meetings, subcommittee/planning meetings and events/programs.
- Must be able to travel locally and have own licensed, reliable insured vehicle available for use.
- Passion and commitment to the sport of running and the furtherance of our mission.
- Position is generally a remote work at home office position with provision of office equipment (computer, printer/scanner/copier, fax, cell phone) and furniture (desk, chair, files) needed to conduct business.
- Board Meetings, Sub-committee and planning meetings may be held at off site locations throughout greater Kalamazoo.
- Working conditions may include outdoor event and program management in all weather conditions including extreme cold or hot temperatures.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds in order to set up and transport equipment for events or programs
- Must be able to use a computer keyboard, view a computer monitor for extended periods of time and use other office equipment (phone, fax, printer, scanner)
- Must be physically mobile and able to spend extended amounts of time on feet as required by running events and programs.
Salary Range: Full-time Exempt: $40,000 – $48,000 – $56,000 + Paid Time Off (PTO), Holidays) Flexible schedule.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to Bonnie Sexton, Board President at email@example.com