January 7, 2021
Dear Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Members,
We are excited to announce effective Sunday, January 17, 2021, Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) will resume our weekly group runs. We are also providing status updates on other winter and spring Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) events and programs.
Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) weekly group runs will resume January 17, 2021 and follow the same COVID-19 precautions in place immediately preceding the hiatus. This will include social distancing, wearing masks during the pre-run and post-run gathering times, completing the onetime online waiver and staying home if you are experiencing primary symptoms of COVID-19 or were in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
The current midweek runs are:
- Sunday Afternoons at 3:00pm at the Battle Creek YMCA
- Tuesday Mornings at 5:00am at Oakwood Plaza, Kalamazoo
- Wednesday Evenings at 5:30pm at Portage Branch of the YMCA (A-Frame Building), Portage
- Thursday Evenings at 6:00pm at Richland Community Library, Richland
The Thursday evening run from Maple YMCA will remain on hiatus for non-COVID related reasons.
If you are not currently on the email list for the above runs and would like to be added, please email email@example.com to request the run distribution (s) you would like to be added to and it will be forwarded to the appropriate group run leader(s).
Winter and Spring Event and Program Status
Below is a status update on our winter and spring events and programs:
- 2021 Indoor Track Workouts at WMU – Cancelled
- 2021 Beyond Half and Full Marathon Training Program (Kalamazoo)- Cancelled
- 2021 Winterblast Half Marathon 10k and 5k – Currently scheduled for February 21st – status is under evaluation
- 2021 Kal-Haven Trail Run – Date is under evaluation
- 2021 KAR Annual Banquet and Membership Meeting – Will be postponed until May and hosted outdoors as a picnic
- 2021 Bunny Hop Run – Cancelled
- 2021 Beyond Half Marathon Training Program (Battle Creek) Under evaluation
- 2021 Spring Fast Track 5k and 10k Training Program (Battle Creek) Under evaluation
- 2021 Kids’ Klassic and Kalamazoo Klassic 5k and 10k – Scheduled as a live event on June 18th and 19th
- 2021 Club Championship Series – Planned for 2021, however scoring will be capped at 5 events (instead of 9) due to a smaller number of participating races
- Runner Recognition Program, Race Discount Program and Service Provider and Merchant Discount Program will continue to be offered.
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we strive to promote the health and safety of our runners and the overall well-being of our community. We wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year and we will continue to provide updates as we make decisions impacting Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) activities.
The Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) Board
Bonnie Sexton, President
Natalie Rowe, Vice President
Cheryl Wesler, Treasurer
Bob Poznanski, Secretary
Board Members at Large
Gary Brookmyer-Lambert, Jr.