Are you inspired to run your first 5k or 10k, begin a speed work program or optimize your 5k or 10k performance? Registration is now OPEN for the 2014 Fast Track 5k and 10k Training Program (Kalamazoo), presented by Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR). Fast Track runs Tuesday, July 8, 2014 through Tuesday, September 9, 2014 and targets the Peacock Strut 5k & 10k scheduled for Saturday, September 13, 2014. Sessions are conducted 6:30 pm Tuesday evenings (optional clinics at 6:00pm) at WMU Kanley Track.
Learn More!!! Join us for our Fast Track 5k & 10k Training Program Orientation and Apparel Clinic Tuesday, June 24, 2014 from 6:30 – 7:30pm at the Downtown Kalamazoo Gazelle Sports.
The Fast Track 5k and 10k training programs each offer three levels of track workouts designed to meet your goals whether beginner or experienced runner. Led by experienced KAR coaches, the program includes training schedules, individual guidance, clinics and structured Tuesday track workouts.
For more information and/or to register for the 2014 Fast Track 5k & 10k Training Program (Kalamazoo), visit www.karfasttrack.wordpress.com.
Online Registration will remain open through July 31, 2014 at 11:00pm.
Program Levels are as follows:
- Fast Track I (Beginner Walk to Run) – Fast Track to running – Geared towards transitioning the new runner from walking to running and completion of a first 5k.
- Fast Track II (5k Introduction to Speedwork) – Fast track to speed work. Geared towards transitioning a runner who has some 5k running experience, but is new to track workouts and is looking for a lower mileage program (under 20 miles/week).
- Fast Track III (5k Competitive Speedwork) – Fast Track to maximum performance – Geared towards competitive runners with 5k racing and track workout experience who are seeking optimal performance and/or a higher mileage program (20 + miles week).
- Fast Track IV (5k to 10k Step Up Program) – Fast Track 5k to 10k transition is our own custom designed program incorporating light fartlek (speed-play) and a gradual mileage build-up. Geared towards runners who have mastered the 5k distance, and are ready to go the next level and run their first 10k. (under 20 miles/week)
- Fast Track V (10k Introduction to Speedwork) Fast track to speed work. Geared towards transitioning a runner who has some 5k running experience but is new to track workouts and/or seeking a lower mileage program. Similar to 5k Level II but with mileage geared towards the 10k distance (20 – 30 miles/week)
- Fast Track VI (10k Competitive Speedwork) Fast Track to maximum performance. Geared toward competitive runners with 10k racing and track workout experience who are seeking optimal performance and/or seeking a higher mileage program. Similar to 5k Level III but with mileage geared towards the 10k distance (more than 30 miles/week).
Program is $25 to Members of the KAR. Participants may join (new members) or renew (existing members) their KAR membership upon registration. Current members receive a $5 discount upon renewing their membership and entering the 4-digit KAR discount code.For more information and/or to register for the 2014 Fast Track 5k & 10k Training Program (Kalamazoo), visit www.karfasttrack.wordpress.com.
Opportunities for Fast Track 5k and 10k Coaches
Share your time, talent and passion for running with others through a rewarding experience. Kalamazoo Area Runners has several coaching positions available for the Fast Track 5k and 10k Training Program. The major duties of this position are as follows (a full job description is available upon request). We will provide training. Contact Fast Track Program Director Bonnie Sexton at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and/or a job description.
- Leads Tuesday morning and/or Tuesday evening track sessions 9 – -10 weeks July 8 through September 9, 2014.
- Attend 2 planning/training meetings and orientation
- Provides one on one guidance, encouragement and workout specific coaching based on established guidelines and training schedules
- Explains track work out details to the group
- Commits to prescribed number of weeks as specified by the program (8 of 10 sessions)
- Answers questions relating to track workouts, refers Fast Track program questions to the appropriate contact
- Organizes runners into groups based on training schedule and pacing, and facilitates a cohesive team environment
- Builds camaraderie and fosters a positive team environment through encouragement and program social events
- Serves as an advocate for Kalamazoo Area Runners events, programs and group runs.
- Other miscellaneous duties as needed
- Fast Track Only: Assigned a committee area of responsibility (registration, coach scheduling, clinics, website updates, socials, etc).
- A rewarding experience encouraging and inspiring others in their running
- Free Fast Track Participation
- Fast Track Technical Coach Shirt
Fast Track positions currently available are:
- Fast Track I – Beginner Walk to Run (2 coaching positions available)
- Fast Track II/III & V/VI – Speed work Group G (5k Time Faster than 20:30) (1 position)
- Fast Track II/III & V/VI – Speed work Group F (5k Time 20:30 – under 22:00) (1 position)
- Fast Track II/III & V/VI – Speed work Group B (5k Time 27:00 – under 30:00) (1 position)
- Fast Track IV – 5k to 10k Step Up Program (11:00 – 12:00 miles) (1 position)
- Fast Track IV – 5k to 10k Step Up Program (12:00 min miles and slower) (1 position)
Thank you for thoughtfully considering these rewarding leadership positions.