NEW, we are pleased to introduce an individualized approach to the 2017 Summer Safari Half and Full Marathon Training Program. Summer Safari is presented by Gazelle Sports and Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) and sponsored by Bronson and has been designed for runners of all experience levels- whether you are looking to complete your first half or full marathon or looking to set a personal record!
Our training schedules have been developed by experts at the Lydiard Foundation, a nationally recognized training program that is used worldwide by recreational runners and elite runners alike. Schedules are individualized to ensure you successfully cross that finish line injury free! Program guidance and support are provided through the Summer Safari Program. We do ask that runners be able to comfortably run 60 minutes prior to the start of the program.
Why should you train with us?
- Experienced Team Leaders supporting YOU and your team for each pace group
- FREE participant tech shirt
- Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) year-long membership
- Access to special discounts and promotions at Gazelle Sports
- Individualized Training Plan; weekly speed and strengthening opportunities; resource blog; and social media engagement
- Beneficial and interactive clinics to help improve your running
- Fully supported Saturday morning runs with hydration and directional signage
- Tuesday morning and evening aerobic, hill and track workouts led by trained coaches
- Opportunities to sample nutrition products and demo the latest running shoes
- Unique starting locations supported by local businesses
- Fun group atmosphere!
- Join us May 31 at 6pm for an informational night and fun run at Gazelles Sports Urban Herd (Summer Safari Style!)
- Information Night and Kick Off will be held at the Bronson Gilmore Center at 7:00pm.
- Saturday long run sessions will be held at 7am starting on June 10 and ending on October 7 (Please note: Safari will not meet June 17. Runners are encouraged to run the Kalamazoo Klassic 5k or 10k.)
- Tuesday aerobic, hill and speed workouts will be held at 5:45am or 6pm starting on July 18 and running through September 12.
- Midweek Training Runs
Pick Your Distance!
This group trains for the following events:
- Grand Rapids Half Marathon or Full Marathon on October 15, 2017
- Detroit Free Press Half Marathon or Full Marathon on October 15, 2017
Not sure about joining our training program? Come for a test run on Wednesday May 31 at 6:00pm at Gazelle Sports. It is FREE to all visitors who want to learn more and experience a Summer Safari group run before signing up.